ModMobile allows you to create an adaptive design for your website. Good article to review: http://www.lullabot.com/articles/responsive-adaptive-web-design. You can keep your standard template and then just create a mobile template and modmobile can send the user the correct one based on the device or based on their preference. You can also hide or show parts of your template based on what version is being displayed, full or mobile.
This package installs a 'modMobile' plugin and a modMobile snippet. The plugin will auto detect if a user is on a mobile device. From there you can configure a template to be used for mobile devices. And/or the plugin can set a placeholder and then you can use the property in your Template, Snippet or Chunks.
Project status, June 4th 2015 Needs new project maintainer, I no longer use this method for mobile development but use RWD and mobile first approaches, client side. Server side detecting is not really needed unless you need to support old browsers.
January 16, 2012
2.0 - <2.2
New in 1.0.2-pl
1.0.2 pl Maintenance release
- Fix #1 a conflict with use_if and setting a mobile template.
- fixed path to mobile detect class in the modMobile snippet
- Complete Code refactor
- Added optional mobile/fullsite rather then forcing one or the other
- Prefromance enhancements, using cookies to detect what user choice is mobile/full
- Using System settings to configure
- Added a snippet that returns mobile/full that can be used with the If snippet ==============================
- Initial release